Thursday, October 25, 2012

Senator Hatch... an Aggie at Heart?

By: Logan Smith

Having landed in this city just one month prior, I am amazed at the whirlwind of activity that has taken place. I just got back from a weekend trip to NYC and I am back at my desk researching different arguments regarding current welfare policy. My internship in DC is proving to be an adventure that is elevating my opportunities as well as my vision for what I can do with my post USU life.

One of my favorite moments came shortly after the Senate returned from its August recess. My fellow intern and I went over to listen to Senator Hatch give a speech on the Senate floor. While we made our way back to the office we wound up waiting for the next subway with Senator Hatch himself. We introduced ourselves and proceeded to discuss the topic of his speech during the ride. The Senator then asked me which school I had attended and after I mentioned I was an Aggie, the conversation switched to an in depth discussion of the great USU vs. Utah game as well as a discussion of the upcoming USU football season. Who knew that Senator Hatch was such an Aggie fan?

Other recent memories have come from being sent around the Capitol to attend briefings on tax reform, helping to prepare for the upcoming inauguration, researching and crafting potential strategy, as well as standing in for committee staffers when they can’t attend a press event or participate in a teleconference call.  It’s not uncommon for me to lean over to my coworker and discuss how awesome our experience in the committee is.

That leads me to my next point; I am not alone in this experience. Besides rubbing shoulders with Senators and other top policy advisers, I have also been able to greatly expand my personal network. I am surrounded by amazing interns from across the US who add to the quality of my experience by sharing their ideas and introducing me to even more people.

I am not completely sure where my internship in DC is going to take me, but if the previous month is any indicator then I know that whatever it is will be exciting and more than I would have ever imagined as I sat in Old Main contemplating life after graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment