Thursday, October 25, 2012

Aung San Suu Kyi and the Congressional Gold Medal

By: Erika Norton

As I walked off the plane at the Reagan National Airport there was a different feeling in the air. It is that same feeling that you get when you travel or move to a new place to start that next adventure and here I was in our nation’s capitol ready for that next great adventure. I immediately fell in love with the city! All I can say is I love it! This opportunity has been amazing!

Living in Virginia and working on the Hill as an intern for Congressman Mike Simpson in Washington D.C. has brought me a new love and appreciation for the United States of America and for our founding fathers. It is amazing to think back through history and know that I am standing in the same spot as some of these amazing women and men. Every day I see the Washington memorial, I am able to explore the Capitol and during a run I ran past the White House! The opportunities to learn and grow seem endless with the many museums and events that are constantly going on. I also have the opportunity to network with people that are doing incredible things. The other night I was at a Congressional reception with around 40 people and I just happened to be standing next to Speaker of the House, John Boehner and he just happened to say hi to me.

One event that I will probably never forget is the day that Aung San Suu Kyi; Nobel Peace Prize winner and activist for democracy and human rights in Burma was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. This medal is the highest award that Congress can give to someone. The ceremony took place inside the Capitol Rotunda and leaders such as; Harry Reid, Hilary Clinton, John McCain, Laura Bush, Mitch McConnell and Nancy Pelosi spoke before Aung San Suu Kyi delivered her eloquent speech and accepted her award.

During this internship I have been able to deepen my passion for education; especially higher education by attending hearings and briefings from this committee. Going to these types of things gave me the chance to talk with leaders in that field as well as find opportunities here in D.C. where I can volunteer to gain additional experience. There is so much that one can gain from an internship it can be so much more than just answering phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment