Thursday, October 25, 2012

Getting to know the Founding Fathers, The Congress, and Shaq

By: Valerie Anderson

There is no place like Logan in the fall. The view from the top of Old Main Hill is unbeatable. The Aggie pride as thousands of students flood back to Logan to celebrate homecoming is almost tangible. From football games to bonfires, there is always something exciting going on. So it’s understandable that I was a little reluctant to leave my friends and move across the country for four months to intern in Washington, DC. Now that I’m here, I know it’s the greatest thing I could’ve done to add to my college experience!

First off, living in DC is incredible. Every morning on my commute to Capitol Hill, the metro comes above ground to cross the Potomac River, giving me a clear view of the world-recognized Washington monument. My work is within a few blocks of the U.S. Capitol, Library of Congress, the Supreme Court, and multiple other historic buildings. Taking lunch breaks on the grass outside the Capitol never gets old.

While at work in Congressman Rob Bishop’s office, my duties range from answering telephones, responding to constituent mail, assisting the legislative assistants, and giving tours of the U.S. Capitol building. The hands-on experience I have gained from doing an internship has taught me more about the legislative process that I ever could’ve gained from simply reading textbooks. It’s an incredible feeling to know I’m walking the same halls as the Founding Fathers, rubbing shoulders with Members of Congress, and even meeting celebrities who come to the Capitol to lobby for certain issues. Last month, I met Shaquille O'Neal! Next week, Jennifer Garner is coming.

Aggie pride doesn’t end in Logan; it’s as strong as ever here in D.C. Utah State University owns a few apartments in Arlington, so I am able to live with fellow Aggies. The majority of the staff in my office graduated from USU, so we even have an occasional “Aggie apparel” day. Most importantly, my roommates and I have found a group of recent Aggie graduates who meet to watch the USU football games together (followed by True Aggie Nights).

I would encourage any student to do an internship in Washington DC. An internship is the perfect way to take your career path for a test drive. I have discovered new interests, learned new skills, and made connections with people that will have an enormous effect on my future career path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment