Monday, November 16, 2015

Intern Spotlight: Rachel Evans


Meet Rachel Evans.
  • Major: Political Science
  • Hometown: Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Favorite Aggie Ice Cream Flavor: Aggie Blue Mint
  • Place She's Dying to Visit: Australia
  • Intern For: Senator Orrin Hatch
IOGP: What has been the highlight of your internship?

RE: The highlight of my internship has been witnessing history. From John Boehner resigning as speaker, to the Pope visiting DC, to another possible government shutdown, something exciting happens every day. It is an incredible feeling to be in the same city at the Pope and be only a building away from the new Speakership election. I wouldn't trade my first-hand account of today's history for anything.


IOGP: What is it like working for Senator Hatch? Have you been able to interact with him?

RE: Working for Senator Hatch is a one-in-a-lifetime experience. It is hard to find another Senator in Congress that does as much as Senator Hatch has done for so long. The people in his office are driven, kind, intelligent, and professional. The Senator himself is sharp and quite funny. Despite his extremely busy schedule, he makes it a point to say hello to the interns when he sees them in the office and checks in often to make sure that we are having a good experience. I am the intern for the press team. Occasionally the press secretary asks for my help when recording videos of the Senator for press releases. This allows me to interact with Senator Hatch quite a bit.


IOGP: What are your plans post-internship?

RE: Post-internship I am hoping to get a job and stay on the Hill. I am close enough to graduation that I can finish my degree online and get started on a career out here. I hope to work on the Hill because it allows me to be a part of the legislative process in many aspects. In my opinion, it is easiest to transition straight from an internship into a full time position, so I am hoping to make that work. Long term I might go to law school or just try and make a career out of working on the Hill. Other than that I am just going with the flow.


IOGP: Which classes really prepared you for this internship?

RE: A few classes in particular have prepared me for my internship; one being Dr. Lyon's Legislative Politics class. It was so helpful to understand a part of the legislative process before I started working for an actual lawmaker. However, I think that each class I took in college helped me get to where I am now. Knowing even a little bit about a wide variety of things allows one to ask questions and spark interesting political discussion.



IOGP: What do you like most about DC?

RE: There are many things about DC that frustrate me. This morning, for example, my commute that normally takes 25 minutes, took 50 because there were so many high school tourists flooding the Metro. However, there is nothing quite like working in the Nation's capitol. For years in school I studied the process that happens here, and now I am living it. I love seeing the Capitol building and the Washington monument every day. There is history and energy in every part of this city. 

IOGP: Any recommended sights to see in DC?

RE: I highly recommend going to the Jefferson memorial at night. It is gorgeous. The Newseum is another one of my favorites. Also, there is an incredible bookstore/cafe at Dupont Circle that is a must-visit for locals.


IOGP: What advice would you give to current students thinking of a political internship?

RE: As far as advice for potential interns goes, I can only recommend that they go for it. For me, a political internship in DC seemed intimidating and maybe even boring. Now, I don't feel like that at all. My internship has taught me about real-world professional experiences and has opened doors to me. I am so grateful for the opportunity that Senator Hatch gave me and I can't believe I ever second-guessed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment