Monday, November 9, 2015

Intern Spotlight: Caleb Carroll


Meet Caleb Carroll.
  • Major: Political Science
  • Hometown: Evanston, Wyoming
  • Playing on His iPod Right Now: Hello, by Adele
  • Favorite Movie Quote: "I believe there's a hero in all of us." - Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
  • Intern For: Senator John Barrasso
IOGP: What has been the highlight of your internship?

CC: I actually work here indefinitely now. My internship lasted for about four weeks, at which point in time Senator Barrasso recommended me for a position on the Indian Affairs Committee. I applied for it and actually got the job. So the highlight would be getting an actual job from my internship. There are other highlights as well like getting to see a lot of people that have ran for president, or are running for president, you get to go to lots of galas and receptions, and DC is just a really cool place to live.

 

IOGP: What do you like most about DC?

CC: My favorite thing about DC is probably all the activities that there are to do here. A couple weeks ago, they did a movie in the park, we've gone to a food festival, we've gone to the beach and there are all the monuments you can go to. For Halloween, we trick or treated on Embassy Row and went to a party in the woods with a whole bunch of people. There are so many things to do and people to see.

                                                                                On Halloween

IOGP: What is it like working for Senator Barrasso? Have you been able to interact with him?

CC: I saw Senator Barrasso almost every day he was in the office. He is a great guy, and working with his staff was really nice. There were only two of us, two interns, in his office, so we got to do lots of different things. He gave me a present just the other day. Working with Senator Barrasso is fantastic.

IOGP: What are your plans post internship?

CC: This job is a stepping stone. I still have grad school that I definitely want to go. I am either going to go to law school or get my Master's in Business. I haven't decided yet. This is a good launching point, a good way to get my name out there. I get to meet a lot of different people that will definitely help me in my future endeavors. This is my starting point for future jobs.


IOGP: Any recommended sights to see in DC?

CC: 
  • Capitol Hill, obviously. But if you are an intern out here, you're going to see that regardless.
  • Dupont Circle, they've got lots of cool shops
  • Lincoln Monument
  • Jefferson Monument
  • U Street, there are lots of cool clubs where you can go dancing, and I really enjoy that



IOGP: What advice would you give to current students thinking of a political internship? 

CC: I would say, do it! I was offered an internship last year in Senator Hatch's office, but I turned it down. But then I got out here and it's absolutely fantastic. So just do it! Other than that, I would say save your money. There's a lot of fun stuff to do, so you'll want to come out here with a bit of pocket change. Learn your major political figures, and the rest of the stuff you can't learn in school. They'll teach you here, and you'll learn as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment